Friday, August 23, 2013

Healthy Vegan Friendly Snacks

When I became vegan I had to re-educate myself in food. At first I thought it would be difficult to find foods that fit into my new lifestyle. After sometime the transition became super simple, I learned how to read labels and understand ingredients. You can find me snacking in between meals to keep my energy up or simply  lounging in front of the T.V. Being vegan is not hard or tasteless, here are some my favorite tasty vegan friendly snacks!

My husband and I are obsessed with hummus, hard to believe at one time he hated the stuff. Hummus is loaded with nutrients and is a great source of protein. There are so many different flavors which are great for sandwiches,wraps,raw veggies or pita chips.

Another great choice is peanut butter which is high in protein,just make sure to get organic because it is lower in sugar. Its great on a piece of whole grain toast,fruit,veggies or just on its own. If you have a nut allergen there are nut     free choices out there too.

My pantry is always stocked with trail mix, its such a staple in my diet. Its so convenient and great for when I'm on the go, not to mention super yummy. There is an insane amount of different mixes now in days at the market, or you could always make your own homemade mix


 
Energy bars are a favorite of mine, there are so many different brands and flavors. Just make sure to read the labels carefully, just because its an energy bar doesn't always mean its healthy. These are my favorite bars lately from Thunderbird energetica, they are absolutely delicious and are locally based here in Austin! If you would like to try them get them here

Smoothies are my go to post work-out snack I use ingredients like kale, bananas and strawberries in mine. Its a great source of nutrients and it gives me a great boost of energy. There are a million different recipes online and its also fun to experiment with your own. The recipe for the ones in the photo can be found here

XO,Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment